Saturday, September 27, 2008

I speak English, Kendall speaks...


I was reflecting on Kendall's development of speech. He had a difficult start having been born 2 months early. I knew language would be a hurdle we would have to be patient with. We had plenty of experience with Kerst on this since he too was a preemie.

Kendall has made huge strides in his language development...although we are still playing catch up. His main source of communication has been sign language. Once he assimilates a word into "his" language, the sign tends to drop.

So, what does Kendall speak? I realized that he uses more types of words than others, so I classify Kendall's language as being Onomatopoeiaeeze (onomatopieia is using a word or groups of words to imitate a sound).

Interpreting for Kendall:
weee - park
Psss - wet diaper
Vrmmm - car
chu chu chu - train
neigh - horse
mooo - cow
arf - dog
mouwuh - cat
ouwww - wolf
sssss -snake
snorting sound - pig
(tons more animals!)

No comments: