Friday, August 15, 2008

WORK

I don't see it as a four letter word. I see it as an opportunity! My kids probably feel the opposite.

We still have not installed a dishwasher in our kitchen. We are still waiting for the countertops - 3 MORE weeks! At least we have a sink! We have turned dish duty over to the kids again. I'm glad I did, but I can't believe how quickly they forget! Yes, we wash the dishes in HOT water, not COLD! We don't run the water the entire time; one side is soapy for washing, the other for rinsing. It is also a great time for them to do something together, even if they don't like the chore. Maybe we shouldn't get a dishwasher....hmmm.....

I came home from an open house last night at one of our schools and Kerst was STILL faithfully drying and putting the dishes away. It is a challenge for him because everything is up high and he is still trying to figure out where everything goes; me too!

The kids all have their own after dinner chore and we rotate weekly. Washing, drying, setting the table/clearing, and floors. I need to figure out where to put Kendall in the cleanup chore process. Not as a particpant, but as a chore. He is a MESS.

I have added another chore to the floor and setting/clearing people since school started. Making lunches. That takes a huge burden off of me in the morning. It will be really nice once Early Morning Seminary starts on Monday.

It has been nice to get our kitchen partially together so that we can do more of these "opportunities" together as a family. They have even started helping me with the cooking again! My kids love to cook. When it comes to the clean up and they complain, I remind my kids that it is my job to teach them how to do all of these chores (imagine their eyes rolling as I tell them this). And yes, it is more work for me, but I see it as more teachable "opportunities".

2 comments:

becky ward said...

one of the most important things a mom can teach her children - to work hard (and doing it together is bonus points) and keep a clean house! your chore list and thoughts brought back memories of growing up in my house.

Dick said...

When you and sean were little...before Reed was born, I visited Mary Ann Kunz. She had 7 children. She said that it was important to teach your children the principle of work. I had never really thought about the importance of teaching it. Mary Ann had a dish washer but said that she did not use it. She had the children paired up. To do clean up the kitchen. She would work with one child to prepare dinner then after dinner two other's were responsible for clean up. She left the kitchen after dinner. She had taught them well and it saved her.

When I was in Ohio, I attended Cara's relief society there. The lesson was on Work. One of the comments made by the wise sisters that were sharing was that teaching your children to work you need to spend as much time or more with them to teach them what to do. Then once they know, then you back off and trust them to do it.

In the end it will save you much time and the children will have gained self esteem in the right way, by being able to DO things.

Work is always there to be done. The quality of your life is much improved by being willing and able to get it done!