Thursday, October 23, 2008

Salt Lake City trip

I have to admit, my kids aren't very good tourists... so I thought I would torture my mom and take her along with me during our Salt Lake City trip.
I've never seen the Conference Center. It is an amazing building! The tour guide took us all over and shared some neat information about the building (Imported Pear Wood and Cherry Wood are the woods used throughout the paneling on the walls). It seats 21,000 people. There are pipes from different churches of all faiths from all over the country used in the organ pipes.
Our tour guide loved the artwork displayed in the Conference Center. He told us that the artwork in the conference center are all originals.



One of my favorite photos revealed a surprise to me! I have always loved the painting by Arnold Frieberg of Christ visiting the Nephites on the American Continent after he was crucified and resurrected. The print I have of this painting in Kerst's room reveals a very bright spot where Christ is pictured. Upon further and closer investigation of the original, you can see that Frieberg painted Christ in the bright spot. It was amazing!
We also walked through the "Hall of the Prophets" where paintings and sculptures of the latter-day Prophets are displayed. Julia had the camera and took most of the pictures of our tour. I was touched to find the following photos. She captured the moment beautifully.


We stopped near the Joseph Smith Memorial Building to eat the lunch that Grandma M lovingly prepared for the crazy tourists. It was a much needed fuel stop!

We headed over to the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and visited the Distribution Center in the basement of the building. Kerst insisted that I buy him his own Book of Mormon with a case. I was going to hold off until he turned 8, but he was so excited to have his own copy. He wants to finish it before he turns 8 (just like his cousin Amelia and Max). How do you say no to that?!?

We also watched the movie Joseph Smith the Prophet of the Restoration. It was very moving; one of those "must see again" type of movie!

No comments: