Monday, January 18, 2010

Jaley's celebration

We had a really nice day with Jaley. I hope she did!

Breakfast. We tried to bring it to her in bed. That didn't work!

Oven Pancakes - her favorite

1 ½ cups flour
1 ½ cups milk
6 eggs
½ stick margarine melted

Prepare 9X13 pan (grease it up). Cook 350 for 30-40 minutes.

(John does 2 cups flour, 2 cups milk, 8 eggs, ½ stick margarine and “zaps” it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. This helps shorten the cooking time).

Sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
Serve with syrup, peanut butter, etc…


I found a special plate for the special person ... thought this would be a fun tradition. Kendall insisted on eating on the boy birthday plate.

Dinner: A request from Jaley

Homemade Costa Vida (Sweet Pulled Pork burrito)

Sweet Pork Roast

Description:
Sweet pork similar to Costa Vida or Cafe Rio style. Can be used in burritos or salads. Brooke made this for our family at our reunion this past summer. YUM!

Ingredients:
4 lbs pork roast
12 oz tomato sauce
3 tsp minced garlic
4 c brown sugar
4 tsp cumin
12 oz coke or Dr. Pepper (I use Root Beer)
4 TBSP molasses
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
Combine in crock pot and cook 10 hours on low (I find that to be a bit long. Try 5 hours and see how it shreds).
Remove and shred.

*NOTE - I buy the 8 lb pork loin at Sam's Club (Costco probably carries it too) and use the same amount of ingredients above)

Add:
1/2 juices from roast (when I cook 8 lbs, I don't toss 1/2 of the juices, I keep the entire amount)
1 jar green salsa Verde (Herdez brand)

For salad serve in tortilla with lettuce, black beans, lime rice
and cilantro buttermilk dressing


Lime Rice

Description:
Yummy rice used in sweet pork salad

Ingredients:
2 T butter
1 1/4 cups rice
2 1/4 cups chicken broth or water and bullion
3/4 t. salt
pepper to taste
juice and zest of 1 lime
1/8 t. cumin

Directions:
In pot melt butter, fry rice for 2 minutes.
Add liquid and other ingredients
Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and cook
until rice is tender.
approx 20 minutes

Creamy Cilantro Dressing

Description:
To go with sweet pork salad

Ingredients:
1 pkg buttermilk ranch dressing (dry)
1/2 c sour cream
1/2 cup mayo
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup fresh cilantro (CHOP AFTER MEASURING)
1 t minced garlic
1/2 t garlic (not sure about this, maybe garlic salt?)
2 T fresh lime juice
1/8 t cumin
1 T sugar

Optional
1/4 t cayenne pepper
A few drops Tabasco Sauce

Directions:
Blend in blender until smooth.

The cake ... I am not the best cake decorator. I do want to learn ... someday. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I ever tried, it would end up on the website, cake wrecks. I have had fun doing cupcake "cakes" for Kendall and Kerst.

For those who know Jaley, she is obsessed with Walmart Donuts. That is what she asked Santa for Christmas. So I decided that would be a fun cake ...



Jaley is our girl who likes to dress classy and sleep classy ... The Bath and Body Works lambie sleep mask, robe and slippers.

And purses ... she owns more than I ever thought I'd own in a life time; she is definitely related to her Aunt Kelly. I think I've owned 2 - for church purposes to carry my supplies in and out.

I also made her a snuggie with fleece to match her room. You can see it on the chair behind Jaley.

And a lap desk for her computer. It was a fun day!
And to top it off, the traditional birthday call and singing from her grandparents. It wouldn't be the same without them calling and singing !!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

She's a lucky girl to have such a good mommy!
Love the doughnut birthday cake! and the photos of her with it and blowing out the candles are perfect!

Kelly Anderson said...

that's where it starts... purses then shoes (aka: walk walks), dresses, frilly shirts/tops, jeans, scarves/accessories, makeup, etc... haha. we're definitely related!