Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Appreciation of electronics



Yes, I do appreciate the vast amount of technology at our finger tips.  It is sad to think that when you purchase an electronic device that it depreciates in value as soon as you walk out of the store with that item or click "complete order" via the Internet.

Just this week I have experienced the opposite.  I see it as a blessing of my desire to preserve our family history.

4 years ago I investigated negative/slide scanners and discovered that I could purchase a new scanner and turn around and sell it for a little bit less than what I purchased it for ... if I completed my project quickly.  I purchased a negative and slide scanner to preserve my parents', John's parents' and our negatives.   I worked hard for 4 months straight scanning our family history.

I didn't get around to selling it until now.

My investment 4 years ago was $900 (including shipping).

I just sold the scanner yesterday for $3,056.

My efforts of preserving our family history is priceless, but this investment sure was some icing on top.

My scanning project back in Jan-April 2007 while living in IL

My parent's negatives were in white envelopes.  After scanning each roll, I would store them in this binder

The negative scanner is to the left of the flatbed scanner.  I had to use the flat bed scanner to scan in the professional size negatives from our wedding.




2 comments:

Deon said...

Say what now? That is some good horse tradin' you did there! Congrats! I'd say that $2,000+ is a touch more than just icing on the top! That's the whole cake and maybe the bakery too :D

And We Sailed On said...

THAT ROCKS!!!! Way to go. Blessings for what you are doing...