Thursday, January 8, 2009

Student of the week - Kerst


Kerst is student of the week in his class this week.


Each day he had an assignment.


Monday: Make a poster about yourself


Tuesday: Bring in your favorite picture book to read to the class. He brought in Curious George. I suggested Parts, but he thought it would be too embarrassing. He wanted to bring in Bark George, but it has been loved too much and is now missing some pages.


Wednesday: Bring in a shoe box that is filled with about 5 items to share with the class. He brought in his swimming trophy, swimming ribbon, soccer medal, WebKinz dog and his Book of Mormon. I included a note for the teacher to read to the class about Kerst (he didn't know)


Kerst is an amazing boy.

He loves to cook. He likes to make pancakes and eggs (by himself, but with a mom or dad close by).

Kerst loves to play outside. He loves having friends. Kerst loves to ski, ride his bike, ride his roller blades, and swim.

Kerst loves to help his dad around the house. If it has anything to do with tools, Kerst is close by ready to help hammer, cut, paint, you name it!

Kerst loves to play games. He loves to play spoons (a card game with a normal deck of cards and some spoons, if you get a matching pair, you grab a spoon. Last one left without a spoon is out).

Kerst makes me laugh. I have many fond memories of him. I’m glad I wrote them down. I found him one day with a needle and thread sewing a hole in the knees of his jeans – WHILE HE WAS STILL WEARING HIS JEANS! Kerst says things that make me laugh…like his class is collecting Cannibals.

Kerst LOVES his baby brother. He prayed for a baby brother for over a year and finally got one! Kendall is now 2 ½ and we still call him baby brother. Kerst looked forward to the day when Kendall would sleep in his room. You can hear them giggle at night as they are going to sleep.

Kerst loves his family. He loves to bug his sister Jenna. He loves to watch Jaley play on the computer. He LOVES LOVES LOVES his baby brother Kendall. He loves to be with his oldest sister, Julia (Kerst calls her Daeia). Kerst loves to help his dad around the house and loves to be with his mom.

Kerst is a very loving and kind boy. He wants others to be happy.

Kerst is looking forward to turning 8 so that he can be baptized and become a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Kerst used to want to be an entomologist, but later discovered he didn’t like to pick up bugs. He now says he wants to be like his Dad when he grows up. I think that is a great choice!

We are SO lucky to have Kerst in our family.


(Kerst said he was embarrassed)


Thursday: Write a paragraph with correct spelling, and punctuation about yourself. He told me that he didn't have to do this part since I already wrote something about him. I told him he needed to share something else the class doesn't know about him.


He wrote:

I am Kerst. I have 2 grandpas, 2 grandmas, 1 great grandpa and 1 great grandma. I have 68 cousins. I have 13 uncles. I have 13 aunts. I am going to 2 Family Reunions this summer. I can't wait to see my family.


Friday Kerst has to share a small talent. I'm not sure what he has decided to do yet.

No comments: