Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Old Kitchen

We didn't ever update our kitchen in IL. There wasn't much we could do to it. We would have loved to have it larger, but with a sun-room on the outside wall we couldn't expand. Plus John said that if we ever thought we needed to remodel our IL kitchen, we'd move first. Well, we moved and are now remodeling! Crazy, I know.



The first week in the house (1st week in March) I took the upper cabinets off . John had the flu so I did it myself. I wanted to find out if there was anything in the soffits (false wall above the upper cabinets). If we were clear of plumbing, etc., we would tear them out and repair the wall and ceiling.



We found some hokey wiring that John fixed. We also had a vent in the left far corner that John worked some magic and made disappear in the wall. He is A M A Z I N G. (You can see the vent and some crazy wiring in this photo).




We repaired the walls within a week of ripping out the soffit. I lived with a partial kitchen until the end of May when we ripped out the remaining cabinets and also most of the flooring on the main floor to put in new hardwoods. I'm amazed at how patient the family was during this time. It was tricky because I love love love to cook. We survived by using the upper double oven, crock pot, microwave, rice cooker and grill.

We are now busy installing our new kitchen. I will post updates in order of progression. We are currently waiting for the granite counter tops. The sink was installed today! Finally no more dishes in the utility sink in the Laundry Room!!!

No comments: