Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Cracked the code ...

The kids were talking about the code while we were in the car together.  It was fun to hear them discussing their ideas.
Julia suggested it was how many ounces they were when they were born ... hmmm... total ounces?  Nah.

Kerst suddenly piped in ... "Hey, it was how early we were born!"

BINGO.  Kerst wins a lunch date!

Yes, all of my kids were born early.

If you want to know why:

Julia:  Tried to come on March 17 - labor stopped at the hospital - but was born on March 23.  Her due date was March 29.  12 6 is her code

Jenna:  Due on April 15.  General Conference Sunday ... I was tired, took a nap and woke up to trickling.  Took a walk and thought I either had a bad bladder or my water broke.  Jenna arrived early Monday morning on April 3.  12 is her code

Jaley:  Due on Jan 24.  John was leaving right around that date to start his new job in Ohio.  The doctor agreed to induce me a week early.  I went into labor late the night of Jan 16 and had Jaley early in the morning on Jan 17 (when she was due to be induced). 7 is her code

I can't cook boys ... my boys were tiny preemies ...
Kerst:  I was going in for a regular OB appointment when I felt a trickle.  The nurse said not to worry, the doctor would make sure everything was ok.  She came in and immediately sent me to the hospital.  I was not even packed.  I had Jaley with me; the two other girls were at school.   Luckily I knew John's work phone number and the neighbor's number.  They were hoping that my bag of waters would seal up.  Nope.  Kerst arrived less than a day later.  57 days early.  3 weeks in the NICU.

Kendall:  Since Kerst came so early, the OB group put me in the high risk category.  I was on progesterone shots to stop premature labor.  Jaley came in my room early on June 14 (sleep walking).  I woke up to see her standing next to me.  I discovered I was having contractions 5 minutes apart.  I headed straight to the hospital.  It took them several days to stop my labor ... and then things went south.  I ended up having an emergency C-section (Kendall turned breach last minute) and my blood pressure was off the charts, my liver and kidneys were shutting down, I was seeing double, etc.  Kendall arrived 53 days early.  His number is 58 53.  Kendall was in the NICU for 3 weeks.  I feel he should have been in longer, but since I was a repeat offender and knew how to care for a preemie, they sent him home earlier than when I was expecting ... it took him a long time to gain weight.  He was just under 4 lbs when he was released from the hospital.

Me:  Back in the days ... my parents were moving around (military) and doctor visits were more common once their home was built and they were settled.  I was born when I was ready ... so my due date.  "0"

John:  All of John's siblings were past their due date except for his youngest brother.  John was born a week late ... -7

2 comments:

Smithclan said...

the crossed off dates then mean when they "tried" to come and the real number was when they actually came?

Feel sorry for me...
brian..?
wendi -1
jensen -10
christian -15
tyler 14
all induced...i don't know how to have a baby by myself.

love the code game.

ckm said...

Yes, the crossed out number is the date they tried to come, I was in the hospital in labor and they sent me home because it stopped or they stopped it (or in Kendall's case, they stopped the labor and then decided they needed to get him out asap).

Poor you! All late except Ty?!?

I love the code game too. At least I have another year to think about the next one. Jaley can't wait ... she loves trying to crack the code!