Sunday, October 24, 2010

Yo yo quilt is DONE!

It has taken 2 1/2 years to complete.  We started back in April 2008.  Jaley wasn't quite ready to taking on such a task so we put it away for about a year and then pulled it out again.

Jaley and I traced close to 1,900 dics onto 25 different fabrics.  Jaley cut them all out.

Jaley and I plugged along sewing by hand all 1,640 (plus about 100 more) yo yos.  We had some help along the way.  Kerst.  Gma P.  Aunt Emily.  We had a lot of fun sitting around and chatting.  I would bring bags to sew while waiting for Julia to complete her community college class.  We would sew at the pool.  We would sew (insert gasp here) during the Sacrament meeting TALKS.  Jaley and I noticed that we got so much more out of the talks when our hands were busy - a neat way to focus and really listen rather than just hearing the talks.

This is one of her 10 hour Young Women Personal Progress value projects.  Only it took over 200 hours to complete!

It is beautiful!  I can't wait to see it on her bed ... when we finish the basement ... yes, more projects!

Yo yo's attached to the quilt ... the final step!

Jaley's queen size yo-yo quilt.

5 comments:

becky ward said...

WOW! what a beautiful accomplishment. everything about it is great!

And We Sailed On said...

that is incredibly beautiful. Stunning. I would love to do this. Next time I need a 2.5 year project I will consider it... :) Congrats Ladies!

F said...

super cute! well done jaley

Courteney Rice said...

This is great. Can I ask what you backed the quilt with and how?

ckm said...

I purchased a thin (in thickness) queen size quilt/throw at Target. It is black on one side, white on the other. Very well made.

We sewed the yo-yos together (yes, all 1,600+) to make the quilt top. We used a permanent fabric glue that is safe for washing machines and dry cleaners and glued each yo-yo onto the quilt.