Thursday, June 17, 2010

Stronger than you know

John bought me a Bernina sewing machine over 18 years ago. The sales man told me that it could sew through 10 layers of denim with no problems.

Today it sewed through Jaley's nail AND bone. She and Jenna were working on their Individual Worth Value Project for their Personal Progress - sewing day-packs for the 1st year campers in our ward for girl's camp. She was having so much fun before it happened. She kept saying over and over that this was the funnest activity. It was so fun to hear Jenna and Jaley working on this together. I had my back turned to her ironing one of the packs when I heard a scream.

She yanked her hand away and broke the needle. I could see the tip of the needle on the under side of her finger. I tried to pull it out with pliers, but it wouldn't budge. I knew what happened - but didn't tell her.

I took her to the ER. X-rays proved what I had thought ... through the bone.

She about had a panic attack when she found out she would need 4 shots to numb her finger. They gave her a pain killer to relax her. Needles scare her - how ironic. She was so brave. She cried during the numbing shots - I cried with her. I hated seeing her in pain. I wished I could take it away from her.

It took a long time to pull the needle out. It broke off at her fingernail and the tip barely stuck through the surface of her skin on the other side. It was STUCK. The pediatric doctor had to consult another one and use his help as well.

While going through this waiting process to figure out what to do, Jaley was funny and sweet while "doped up". She told me that her bathroom needed more toilet paper. When she heard "hand surgeon" after hearing about the piece still in her finger she said, "Papa still has shrapnel in him and he's fine." She also told me that she was glad this happened to her rather than one of her other siblings because she doesn't like not knowing what is going on and not being able to help. She also teared up when she was remembering how her siblings came to her aid when she got hurt - they held her good hand, they helped her out to the car ... and a couple of them had tears in their eyes. So sweet. That's my Jaley.

The second set of X-rays showed that there was still a piece of the needle in her finger - between the nail and bone. The hand surgeon was called. We get to see him on Monday. He thought it was too traumatic to do surgery on her to remove it (I AGREE). He wants to monitor it. What a relief. Surgery was one of the other thoughts that crossed my mind while driving Jaley to the ER.

Poor Jaleybug. She is stronger than she knows.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow! I totally feel for her. I am so sorry!!!

Smithclan said...

Oh my gosh!!! Can you say twinners! NO not you guys...Shannon and Kelly...me and Jaley. I did the same exact thing a few years ago (except...I was older...alot older...I should have known how the sewing machine works...older) I am deathly afraid of needles too. Brian always makes fun of me..."can I have a deadener to deaden the deadener to deaden the deadener". I'm so sorry about that Jaley...I also believe that a hand surgeon was called on mine too because...guess what? a piece was stuck still...and they left it in there. I can still use my finger and everything...don't even notice it, but now I'm super careful when I sew. :) I sure love you Jaley!!

Freeze Family said...

Wow!! Reading your post made the hair on my arms stand up!! 4 shots...my Natalie (sister #2) said she would never sew again....hope all turns out well!!

Brooke said...

Oh, yikes!!! Poor, poor Jaley. I'm really impressed with how tough she is! I hope everyone spoils her while she's on the mend, and I hope the mending goes smoothly.

And We Sailed On said...

are you kidding me? I'm SO sorry! I hope all goes ok. how is it doing now?
E

ckm said...

Very tender - the slightest bump is painful. She misses playing all of her piano pieces. She did find one she could still play because it uses the "odd fingers". We keep it bandaged. She is also on some heavy duty antibiotics - since it is a puncture wound (through and through).

Kelly Anderson said...

my poor jaleybug:(