Monday, June 14, 2010

Chores Glorious Chores

That's what you will hear coming from my lips - to the tune of Food Glorious Food (from Oliver).
NOT what you will hear from the kids!

Last year we did "Own It". It worked well for the most part.

This year I have lists. I was doing daily lists; now it is weekly. I am having them report on their progress during dinner (or mark off their chore chart).

What do I have on their lists?

Daily chores.
Pick up room (includes making bed)
Scriptures/Personal Progress/Cub Scout Achievements

Chores they need to complete sometime during the week:
They each have a portion of a "large chore" divided up amongst each other on the list as well. They can pace themselves, BUT it has to be completed by NOON ON FRIDAY. Last week it was cleaning the kitchen cabinet doors and drawer fronts (with soapy water - yes, I need to write it on their list!). I put post-it notes on each door front with their names on it. This week they each have Post-it notes on 5 chairs to wipe down and replace the felt pads on the legs. What else do I have up my sleeve? Blinds. Window Sills. Baseboards. Wipe down doors. Windows. Deep clean closet. Deep clean their shower (mom clean that is) with comet cleanser - that soap scum spray doesn't really work.

They also have to clean their bathroom (shower, sink, toilet, floor and mirror), vacuum dust and de-clutter their room and complete their laundry (include sheets - wash, dry, hang, fold AND put away) - I don't care when, just have it done by Friday at noon.

The chores are TO BE FINISHED BY NOON ON FRIDAY ... or I get to keep all electronic devices until the next Friday.

For those who have diligently worked on their chores, we hit Sonic's Happy Hour on Friday from 2-4 p.m. for their 1/2 price drinks (Limeade with LOW ICE)!!! That has been really fun! (And right now they have buy one, get one free milk shakes - until June 28. If you purchase an odd number of milk shakes, they give you a coupon that expires mid July! Oh, Hot Fudge milk shake is my favorite - and get the large!).

2 comments:

Freeze Family said...

I love it!!! We developed Freeze family fitness fun....for the first 1 1/2 hours they can play wii or tv or pc. After that they must "earn" time or money. It has worked well for us so far!!!! I love the chore list idea!!!

becky ward said...

you are just a fantastic person! that's all i have to say.