Monday, November 30, 2009

Turkey (carcass) soup

For some reason we tend to love the Thanksgiving leftovers even more than the original meal. I don't know why.

Last night we had Turkey Carcass Soup. I boiled the carcass and then de-boned the turkey. I added celery, onion and carrots. Threw in some bullion cubes along with the extra turkey drippings. The homemade noodles were the kicker - a must!

I remember eating these noodles when I was a little girl. No need for a pasta press. Roll out the noodles on your counter and cut with a pizza cutter. It is fun because the sizes of the noodles can vary from very wide to thin.


Homemade Noodles

Description:
This is my Mom's recipe she used with her homemade noodle soup when I was growing up; a favorite of Jaley's.

Ingredients:
3 cups four
2 tsp salt
3 eggs (4 med eggs)
3 TBSP olive or vegetable oil
1/4 cup cold water
corn starch

Directions:
Work liquids in with fingers to make a stiff dough (or be like me and throw it all in the mixer and turn it on).
Knead for 10 minutes. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and set on counter for 1 hour at room temp.

Sprinkle counter or rolling surface with corn starch. Roll dough out to 1/4 inch thick (thin enough to read through).

Cook or dry. You can even throw it in your freezer until ready to use in your next soup.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh! I've never done homemade noodles with my turkey soup. I'm cooking a turkey today - so I'll have to use your noodle recipe for my soup. Thanks!

Shannon said...

Sounds yummy. I never cook Thanksgiving dinner so I never have leftovers. Next year I might get to though so I will have to try that one out:-)