Monday, May 20, 2013

Seminary Graduation - Jenna's talk

Jenna was asked to speak at our Stake's Seminary Graduation.

Here is her talk:


Brother L called and asked me if I would speak at Seminary Graduation on what I learned in my four years of Seminary.  When I asked him how long I needed to talk, he told me thirty minutes.

I have a sense of humor too.

What I learned from attending early morning seminary.

I learned how to hit the snooze button and eventually I learned to ignore my alarm completely.  My sister and my Dad can attest to that.

I learned how to sleep with my eyes opened – like the bishopric does on Sunday.

I counted the tiles on the ceiling.  I never made it past 15.

Seriously, all humor set aside, I really did learn and grow during the last four years.
What did I learn?

I learned about dedication in Seminary.  I saw this in my teachers who were like superman and superwoman.  They have a day job – like Clark Kent.  They also save our day and start it off right when they come and teach our classes.  I see dedication in my sister, Jaley.  She is always ready to go 20 minutes before we need to leave.  There is Jaley standard time, Mormon Standard Time and Jenna Standard Time (my teachers will know what that is).

I learned that Seminary is a Holy Place, a holy moment.  Sis. Ann Dibb gave a talk at the recent General Young Women’s Conference about not only creating a holy place, but holy moments.  Holy moments were created each morning that started and ended with a prayer.  It was up to us as student to be a part of the holy moment.  I felt this holy place many times last year after being a passenger in a serious car accident.  I was in a wheelchair for three months.  In the seminary room I felt loved, welcomed and accepted as I dealt with maneuvering a wheelchair and recovering from multiple surgeries.  I was in a Holy Place and lifted up and prepared to face difficult days during this time.

I learned that Angels do watch over us.  I know our Heavenly Father watches and protects us.  He knows the desires of our hearts.  He guides and protects us.  OK - Mom and Dad, cover your ears.  There were several occasions that the only way we arrived to seminary in one piece is because we were watched over and protected as we drove on hazardous roads during the winter.

Seminary prepared me to share the gospel.  In Seminary, I had daily reminders of who I am and who I represent.  I had friends ask me why I was at school early (or on time).  I've had the opportunity to have gospel discussions with several friends.  I currently have a friend constantly asking me questions about my beliefs.   I’m grateful for the teachings I've had in my home, at church and seminary.  It has given me the confidence to answer their questions.

Because of Seminary I learned that I can do hard things.  Waking up early is hard.  Studies have shown that teenagers need their sleep.  Teenagers also need to study.  Teenagers also need to socialize – and eat.  All of this has to be done in a 24 hour period.  When we really try, we find the strength to do it all.  This past fall when I was finally able to walk and return to normal activity, I had to work extra hard to get back into shape for high school swimming.  I started out swimming 1 hour after school and built up to 2 ½ hours.  I then started getting up at 4:00 in the morning to swim for an hour and a half before seminary.  I still did my 2 ½ hours afternoon work outs.  I learned I can do hard things.  So can you.

I learned that Seminary is preparing me for college.  My older sister, Julia, noticed that she was able to attend 8:00 in the morning classes compared to other students who did not do early morning seminary.  It has taught me that this daily morning ritual of feeling the spirit needs to carry over into the next phase of my life.

I learned that I have a second family in Seminary.  Our senior class was not an easy group.  The freshmen class acted older than we did.  At the beginning of the year, my seminary class had many cliques.  Thanks to my amazing seminary teacher, Sis. S, she dissolved these cliques and created an amazing tight knit family.  She did this by including everyone in class discussions, having us prepare daily devotionals, not giving up on us and by teaching with the spirit.  She saw something in us that we didn’t.  She worked hard to break down what we were and created something that will last forever.   She created our Seminary Family. 

So – to the Freshman.  You survived.  1 down.  3 to go.
To the Sophomores.  You are half way through.
To the Juniors – act older than the freshmen.
To my parents – you survived 6 years so far.  Here’s to 11 more.
To the Seniors – we did it!  But it’s not over.  I’ll see you in institute this summer.  Thankfully they meet at night.

I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

1 comment:

Special Treasures said...

Excellent talk. I would have loved seeing this young lady grow up. I still remember the sweet little girl in Waco. She has turned into a wonderful young lady.