Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My Papa



My dear grandpa "Papa" passed away this morning. 

He and Grandma are one of my first childhood memories - and my fondest memories of childhood. 

As I became an adult, I realized that they took their 3 week vacations from work to visit me and my siblings in Kansas. 

Grandpa - I will miss your harmonica playing, your love of music (which was shared with Julia), how you spoke in a New England accent (roof or ruff, battery or battreee), singing in our ward choir when you would come and visit, showing us your war wounds from shrapnel, watching you meticulously care for your teeth, attending the veteran's day celebrations at my kids' elementary school, sleepovers at our home, long walks and holding your hand. I will remember your tender tears that streamed down your face as we surprised you with a visit after we moved. You kept telling me through those tears that you thought we would never come back. I will cherish the 8 years we lived close by for my children to experience how amazing their great grandma and grandpa are. You showered me with love. 

Physically you are not here, but I know you will never leave us.

I'm grateful that families are eternal. I'm grateful that you are my Papa forever.

1 comment:

Deon said...

So sorry to hear about this, Corin. What a lovely, lovely tribute to your papa.