Sunday, January 13, 2013

Where did I get my ornaments?

My dear friend, Wendi, asked where I found my ornaments.  Some I make ... like Kerst's pinewood derby ornament.

I first go to Hobby Lobby and see what I can find in their ornaments on their 1/2 off sales.  I found Julia/Jared's mixer, cupcake and Kendall's dinosaurs there.  Hobby Lobby has their Christmas out in July.  I usually start looking in September.  Things are REALLY picked over in the store by November.  Nothing is left by December.

The clear ball ornaments I purchased at Michaels on their 1/2 off ornament sale - which happens frequently in November/December.  I usually keep a dozen on hand ... I never know when I will use them!  I used them to stuff the dried flowers Julia received when she was Sandy in the musical, Grease.  I used a clear ball to put the items my Dad used when he gave a talk on the Holy Ghost at Kerst's Baptism in 2009.  I used the clear ball to put shells from a family reunion inside to remind us of Bear Lake in 2001.  I also used a clear ball to fill with pieces of the car and tree from Jenna's accident (thanks Wendi for collecting those pieces!).

The Denver Temple hand spun ornament you can find here - I found a better deal, but it looks like they are revamping their website.  They have lots of different temples.  You can also have a bride and groom put next to the temple as well as painting the Angel Moroni gold - for an extra fee.

I purchased temple medallion ornaments for when we went to the open house of Oquirrh Mt Temple in 2009.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE to go to my local St. Nick's store.  It is open year around.  I could spend hours in this store ... and I do!  They have ornaments for everything - almost.  It is nice to see that they have different ornaments year after year - especially when you are purchasing a swimming ornament each year for Jenna :). I have purchased graduation, driver's license, broken arm, musical instruments, scouting, etc.

The wheelchair for Jenna I googled.  I wanted something small that would fit on a tree.  I found a couple of options but discovered this site.  Wrestling action figures.

I search the internet for my ideas of what I could make into ornaments ... I enjoy doing this.  The memory ornaments are more for me ... but I know the kids love them too!  I love journaling about the ornaments and why I selected them.  I know I go overboard, but this is what this tradition means to me .... memories and preserving them!

I do need to go back and journal and take pictures of the ornaments from years that have passed.


1 comment:

Smithclan said...

xoxo thank you sweet friend. Wow that was a lot of work linking all those sites. Thanks for the time.