Sunday, January 20, 2013

I want to be when I grow up ...


The lesson in Relief Society today was from the talk by Elder Todd Christofferson in the Oct General Conference, Priesthood Session "Brethren, We Have Work To Do".  It was a wonderful talk and the lesson was amazing.  Lola M, the teacher, invited some of the Laurels (16-17 year old girls) in to share what they looked for in a Young Man.  It was touching to hear what these girls have been taught in their home and at church.

The most powerful comment by a Young Woman, Maddie W., was for the Young Men to compliment the girls who are dressing and acting as they should be.  She said it was sad to her last night (a quad-stake dance) that the girls who had short dresses on were being asked to dance more often than those who were modest.  "Compliment us like my Dad compliments me.  He makes me feel beautiful."

A father and his 2 sons were up next to explain what they do in their home to raise sons.   It was sweet to see the young men brought to tears as they talked of their mother and their father.  The first thing they shared was that their parents planned their activities/extra curricular around the church activities.  It is a priority.  The oldest son said that now he doesn't question the activity, he knows he should go and he does.

After they left, Lola asked what we can do in our homes.  One sister commented that when she was in 5th grade she was on the newspaper staff.  She interviewed her classmates and was stunned that the girls wanted to be singers and models, the boys wanted to be athletes.  She was amazed at how the outside influence had effected her classmates.  Have good role models in the home.

I raised my hand and said that I have seen the effect of the outside world on my own family.  I said that Kendall (my 1st grader) was "Star of the Week" last week and had a poster to fill out.  One portion was "What I want to be when I grow up."  He told me he knew what he wanted to be when he grew up but didn't want to write it down because the kids would laugh at him.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" I asked him.

"A doctor"

"What did you want to write down that you thought the kids would laugh at."

"I want to be a Daddy like my Dad."

Wow.  From the mouth of babes.  I'm so thankful that I have such a wonderful role model
in my home for my children.  My sons want to be like their Daddy.

No comments: