Saturday, November 17, 2012

World Prematurity Day

In 2001 Kerst entered our family - a bit early.  2 months early.  He was 5 lbs 4 oz.  Thankfully he was breathing on his own - they were able to give me one dose of steroids to develop his lungs.  He still won a 1 month stay in the NICU.  We had many ups and downs during that time.  I journaled my experience on our family website.  It is amazing to see the emotions that occurred during that time.  It was a time of many blessings, tender mercies and miracles.



 Jaley with her life-size baby doll.  He was a perfect size for her!
Jenna with Kerst. 

Julia with Kerst. 

 Kerst having a spa day in the NICU.  

Kerst was in the NICU for 3 weeks and weighed his birth weight (5lbs 4 oz) when he arrived home.  He doubled his weight in a week when he was finally allowed to eat when and how much he wanted!


Kerst 4 months old
Fast forward to 2006.  To prevent a premature birth, I was monitored more closely and given steroid shots.  It was yet another time full of miracles and tender mercies as Kendall arrived 2 months early.  I almost didn't survive.  Jaley was a chronic sleep walker.  She came into our room in the middle of the night.  That woke me up.  I was in labor and didn't know it.  The doctors felt that with my blood pressure levels, toxic blood levels, etc, I probably would not have awakened and passed away in my sleep.  Jaley is my guardian angel :)

Kendall arrived weighing 4 lbs.  He would not have gained any more weight even if he lasted the final 2 months.  The placenta had stopped doing what it needed to do.  I developed preeclampsia overnight.  It was under control after several days in the hospital and then it spiked again and they had to do an emergency C-section to deliver Kendall.




Kendall was also in the NICU for 3 weeks.  He should have stayed longer, but since I was a "repeat offender" and they knew I knew how to raise a preemie, they sent Kendall home.  Kendall weighed 3 lbs 13 oz when he arrived home.

It took him a LONG time to gain weight.  We had to go in for weight checks weekly for awhile.


So thankful for modern medicine!  So thankful for my family!

3 comments:

becky ward said...

many tender mercies! 3 lbs 13 oz!!! wow. such tiny little things.

Sarah said...

Sweet little loves! So glad it all worked out well.

And We Sailed On said...

It's amazing what you have gone through ! Life is such an adventure. I'm so glad you are all here to teach me and bless my life.