Sunday, February 12, 2012

Love these calls

I love it when I get a call ... one of these calls.  From Julia

Hi, Mom.  I want to read this to you ...

From "Music in the Human Experience: An Introduction to Music Psychology" by Donald A. Hodges and David C. Sebald


"Researchers have demonstrated the significant role of the family in a child's developing sense of identity (Creech, 2009). Budding musicians were included in a five-year longitudinal study of over 200 talented teenagers (Csikszentmihaly, Rathunde, & Whalen, 1997). Musically successful adolescents usually had a strong family support system. Intensive interviews with 12 families showed how parents and children developed a family musical identity (Borthwick & Davidson, 2002). Parents served as role models and created expectations of musicianship. Often, parent and child bonded over shared musical interests. Siblings, too, had an influence. "Therefore, the child's musical identity is shaped primarily by the responses and values given by his/her immediate family." It is important to note, however, that having musical parents is not necessary for the child to develop musicality. Howe and Slobody (1991) found that only one-tenth of a group of exceptional music students had parents who were active musicians. Although the parents' musical skills were not critical, the level of their involvement was (Isbell, 2008; McClellan, 2007). Parents of successful music students were nearly always highly involved in mentoring the students' practice times, interacting with the music teacher, and so on."

Thank you for being that kind of parent.

Wow.  That touched me to my core. 

I asked her to e-mail me the quote so I could have it ... forever.  She did ... and at the end was the sweetest note ever.  One I will treasure forever.  Joy.

Julia's note:
"This is you. In one paragraph of text. Love you mom. Thanks so much for always supporting me in everything that I do. I cannot wait to know that you're in the audience at my concerts once again this March. It's the way that it's supposed to be :) There is not a day that goes by that I don't thank Heavenly Father for blessing me with such wonderful parents that have taught me the way you and Dad have. I am THE luckiest girl in the world to have someone as loving as you to always be willing to sew costumes for a production, to take pictures of crew members, to go to EVERY musical production and record, and to make me feel special the way that you brag about me on the family website. ;) I miss you so much, Best Friend.
Love,
Your Jules"

I am the luckiest Mom ever.

4 comments:

Smithclan said...

Teary...sooooo sweet.

Sarah said...

That's beautiful!

And We Sailed On said...

Every word about you is so true. You are a great example. xo
E

Kelly Anderson said...

best mommy you are!