Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Kerst's Primary Talk

Kerst had a talk this past Sunday in Primary too.

This year our Primary is assigning stories from the scriptures to share as their talk. Kerst and Kendall were asked to share the story about Lehi finding the Liahonah outside of his tent. The talks I have heard recently are of the kids reading the story from the back of the picture or from the scripture story picture book. I wanted the boys to share highlights and then to "liken the scripture" to themselves. We shared and discussed the story over breakfast and wrote their talks.

Here is Kerst's talk (and he did a wonderful job too!).

(Both boys shared the framed picture that hangs in Kendall's room of the Book of Mormon Story of Lehi finding the Liahona outside of his tent.)

This picture hangs in Kendall’s bedroom. I love this story in the Book of Mormon. Early in the book of first Nephi, Lehi was instructed by God through a vision to take his family into the wilderness and head to the Promised Land. While traveling in the wilderness, Lehi found a curious ball outside of his tent. This ball is called the Liahonah. The Liahonah gave instructions, directions, commandments and comfort. The writings on the ball would change as the needs of Lehi’s family changed. The Liahonah told Nephi where to go and hunt for food for his family. The Liahonah directed Lehi’s family across the ocean as they traveled to the Americas. While on the ship, Nephi’s brothers became angry and tied Nephi up. The Liahonah stopped working. A terrible storm came, they were lost. The Liahonah would only work when Lehi and his family were righteous. After Lamen and Lemuel repented, the Liahonah worked again and they arrived in the Americas – the Promised Land.

We have our own personal Liahonah. This Liahonah can be with us everyday. As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we receive the gift of the Holy Ghost after our baptism. The Holy Ghost is like the Liahonah. Just as the Liahonah directed, taught and comforted Lehi’s family, the Holy Ghost does the same for us today. As we keep the commandments and choose the right, the Holy Ghost will remain with us. I am thankful that I know I can ask for comfort when I am scared or sad, ask for help when I am lost, ask for help when I have done my best to prepare. Even if I feel alone, I know I have the Holy Ghost to comfort, guide and teach me. I need to remain worthy to have this gift in my life.

I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

1 comment:

Kunde Family said...

Wow. He sure did a good job! I wish I could have been there to hear it! I can't believe how old he is getting! I still picture him like he was the summer I visited you guys!